Kate,

Per OCF under Cancer therapy: http://www.OralCancerFoundation.org/complications/xerostomia.
When the total radiation dose exceeds 5,200 cGy, salivary flow is reduced, and little or no saliva is expressible from the salivary ducts.
RO should be able to advise you about mapping/dosage to salivary glands.

My husband had higher dose radiation and was surprised that salivary flow & taste kept improving, even 2-3 years post rad. This has become a minor side effect for him.

How did your husband make out with dental extractions? What changed from concern about a wisdom tooth to 4 front teeth?

This time prior to therapy starting is extremely stressful. I took anti-anxiety meds in the evening so that I could sleep. Otherwise, my mind kept going over every possibility. Once therapy was underway, I was ok without it. In part because we checked in daily with our cancer team - an opportunity to ask questions and get advice for immediate problems instead of worrying about everything at once.

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016