Hi, friends.

I am adding to this old thread because I'm not sure if it's related or not, but here goes.

I explained earlier in this thread that my oral pain has been much worse following a fungal infection this past Spring.

Now, I am experiencing a different kind of phenomenon in addition to the pain. The surface of my tongue is extremely sensitive to any spices (even salt), toothpaste, gentle/non-alcoholic mouthwash, any carbonated drinks (which I could previously & occasionally enjoy), and certain textures are intolerable.

I am wondering if these are typical changes due to radiation that come later post-treatment. My last radiation treatment was 10/31/12.

My next scan was supposed to take place in October (to include the chest), but my SO ordered an MRI for this weekend. He wants to cover all bases due to the persistent pain and hypersensitivity. He said that he doesn't expect to find anything worrisome, but I have proven to be the exception to the norm.

I am getting a bit ramped up with anxiety because as I type this, I camped in my 6 y.o. daughter's hospital room. She has been very, very sick and wasn't getting better. She was admitted for IV fluids. Her stool culture showed that she has contracted salmonella. She'll be starting on some heavy duty abx and continued hydration. We will be taking things one day at a time. All of this brings me back to my first signs of cancer in early 2011. She was admitted at that time due to dehydration and a UTI. I can remember that my tongue was really bothering me and I knew deep down that something was wrong. I know that this situation doesn't predict an outcome for me, but it's just like bad deja vu. I am worried about her. It's awful to see your child suffer so much.

I would appreciate any feedback or shared experience that anyone might have.

Love, hope, and strength in OCF,
Kerri

37 y/o fem at Dx (23 wks preg @ dx on 3/16/11)
SCC L oral tongue (no risk factors)
L partial gloss/MND 3/28/11 @ 25 wks preg
T1-2N0M0; no rads/chemo
Tonsillectomy on 8/6/12 +SCC L tonsil T2-3N1M0 (HPV-)
Treated with 35 rads/7 carbo & taxol (Rx ended 10/31/12), but many hospitalizations d/t complications from rx.
Various scans since rx ended are NED!
Part of genetic study for rare cancers @ MGH.
44 years old now...I wasn't sure I would make it! Hoping for 40 more!