Welcome to OCF! Im very sorry you have the need to use our site. Im sure your situation is not easy at all.

Learning how to eat again will take alot of hard work. Since you just recently had the surgery, this probably will be a long road. You will need to get some professionals involved if they arent already. A speech pathologist and dietitian should be able to help you with this. It can be a dangerous situation, eating if you cant swallow properly. Believe it or not, the muscles used to swallow can quickly forget how to function when not used all the time. This can cause aspiration pneumonia which is a serious problem. You do not want to have food go into your lungs instead of your stomach.

Doctors will make sure you are able to sustain yourself without using the tube for a month or more prior to removal. You must do this without using the tube for anything. I completely understand depending on a feeding tube is not easy. But its better to hang onto it and not need it than to have it removed and end up getting another one a couple weeks later.

Recovery can be a frustrating time for most patients. They can never get better quick enough. All patients are different too and will respond in their own unique way to procedures, medicines and therapies. This cant be rushed, in time with hard work you can get there. Try thinking of the feeding tube as a tool to help you for a temporary time.

Best wishes with yoru recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy