Laura,

I also live in southern Pa. I was diagnosed with tongue cancer in September of last year. I had the whole nine-yards. Surgery, and Chemo and radiation at the same time. I will be honest, the radiation was the absolute worst part for me. My physicians and my family and I decided to go the most agressive treatment route. I decided on it because of my age (40). If I had to do it over again, I would still go through with it. I think the benefits of radiation far outweigh the discomfort that I endured. The people at the treatment center and my family were with me every step of the way. I had a mask that I had to wear for my treatments. It has markings on it of where the radiation was directed on my face and neck. On the day of my last treatment, I PROUDLY walked out with my mask. I have it mounted on a wall in my office at work. I think of it as a big badge of honor. Good luck to you and best wishes for a full recovery.

SCC base of tongue. Diagnosed as stage IV, Sept. '04. Partial glossectomy, Radical neck dissection left side, 37 Radiation sessions, Chemo x 7 weeks. Finished treatments January '05. Cancer surivor!