Sometimes it's trial and error. I know it totally sucks. I experimented a lot. Clearly my mouth isn't as sensitive as yours is. However I had this lovely hole/ulceration on my tongue for quite a bit. I stepped up the cleanings, and used cortaid to help it heal. I wouldn't advise long term use of it though as it's a steroid an can mask other issues. Maybe talk to the pharmacist. There are different types of magic mouthwash. It was actually invented by a dr here at my local hospital - but from what I've heard the formula varies. I was told I could swallow mine. I know it had nystatin and lidocaine. I am not sure what else. But I know others haven't been able to swallow it. So. Maybe they can mess with the formula to see what may work. Sadly (though I wouldn't wish this upon anyone) most drs who haven't been through this simply don't get it. They are mostly of the mind set - well you're alive and cancer free. They simply cannot understand the pain.

Anyway. manuka - does sting. but after it it feels great. Now if it is too painful Cut it down with warm water.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan