Well, it looks like it may be my turn to manage round 2 and I may need some help and hope. I have felt pretty fortunate so far, but this normally strong guy is actually shaking a bit as I write this and think of what I might be in for next.

I had my 2 year PET in February (which was a little inside the 2 year mark). All was clear except very minor uptake in a node under my arm which my team will monitor. In early March I coughed up a tablespoon or two of blood. Had a CT scan at an urgent care center that morning of the lungs which showed a couple of nodes that were not too concerning, but coughed up a small amount of blood a second time about a month later. I kept my CCC team in the loop and had a pulmonary consult as well as a visit with the ENT nurse practitioner. Pulmonary Dr, was also not too concerned but set up a surveillance CT in a couple of months.

Here is the concerning part. The ENT nurse scoped me this week and saw a couple of abnormalities in the lining of the throat. She said it could just be inflammation but spoke with the ENT Dr. who said we needed to do a biopsy which is scheduled in just over a week. It is not to hard to connect the dots from coughing blood to an abnormality in the throat to deduce that there is a recurrence.

To say I am scared is an understatement given what I have learned here and other sources about recurrences. My quality of life has been excellent since treatment and I cannot imagine giving that up. Assuming it has been detected early and is operable, it looks like surgery is the primary mode of treatment.

I realize more information may be necessary, but can anyone offer any insight into what to expect? Words of realism and/or encouragement?

Thanks in advance.

Male age 50 SCC BOT Stage IV HPV+ Tx 35xrad 3xchemo (cisplatin).
Tx completed 7/2013
MND 10/2013 (Pathology Negative)
Debridement for minor ORN 7/2014