Hi Adam. I'm new at this myself, having received a preliminary diagosis on March 26 this year that was confirmed via scan the following day. My diagnosis was very similar to yours.

I was given the option of surgery-before-radiation, with the possibility of chemo-radiation if surgery showed cancer cells had escaped the lymph node. Or I could have just gone the radiation/chemo route based on what they saw in the CT scan, with possible surgical follow-up. I chose the surgery-first option for two reasons. The first was that I just wanted the d***ed tumor out of me, and the second was that the neck dissection would show conclusively whether we had escaped cancer cells - meaning that chemo might not be necessary.

In my case I'm ending up with the trifecta (surgery, radiation and chemo). And I feel pretty good about that because we're throwing everything possible at the cancer. Surgical recovery time was about 2 weeks, although I took 3 off work just to be sure I was fully rested. And it feels really good to have the tumor(s) gone!

I've learned a lot from the folks here about the toxic side effects of chemo-radiation, and that has helped prepare me for what's ahead. You'll get the same great information and support here to help you make your decision. Best of luck.

Peter, age 62 at Dx
3/27/15 Dx T2N2aM0 Tonsilar P16+ G3 SCC
4/6/15 Full PET clear except for above
4/24/15 TOLM tonsillectomy/clear margins. Neck dissection 20 nodes (1 w/cancer & extracapsular extension)
5/28/15 PEG in
5/27 - 7/10/15 Daily Radiation to 66 units cumulative; Cisplatin weekly X 7
8/24/15 PEG out
9/24/15 Full body PET - N.E.D.
12/22/15 CT and physical exam. Continued clear.
3/11/16 Physical exam. Continued clear.
7/12/16 One year post-treatment! CT clear.
7/7/17 2 years post - still clear