Hi I am John, I was diagnosed with SCC on my tongue in 2002 (age 43), I had a partial glossectomy (8x5x1mm) and I am now in the clear. I am a dentist and I am actively practising Orthodontics. I was a member of the OCF about 5-6 years ago, but I have been inactive since. Tobacco and alcohol as we know are two of the most common causes of oral cancers, but I never smoke or drink. The conclusion I had for my own case was that the tongue ulcer was caused by chronic irritation. I had 2 upper bicuspids extracted when I was a teenager and my upper jaw has constricted, thus, reducing the space for my tongue. Having researched many published papers from numerous Journals, there are only a handful of studies connecting tongue cancer to orthodontics. Having practised orthodontics for 10 years, I tend to observe clinical signs such as scalloped tongue, retroclined teeth (teeth erupting inwards towards the tongue), narrow upper and lower jaws, extracted teeth for orthodontic reasons (which may contribute to the narrowing jaws), dry mouth, among other things. It�s feasible that these tend to aggravate the tongue, which may eventually cause dysplasia. Furthermore, it appears that the the incidence of tongue cancers has increased among young people, who don�t smoke or drink, but may exhibit the clinical features described above. I welcome any feedback from members.
John

Diagnosed tongue SCC 2002 T1N0M0
Partial glossectomy (8x5x1mm) (L) side of tongue