Wow...
Well.
That's a shit storm... is she at a CCC?

That's always my first question. The fact that she had to travel makes me think she is, but the fact that this infection got to the point it did makes me wonder. She's very vulnerable due to the disease process itself plus the treatment. Whenever you have an open wound combined with radiation and chemo there's a very high possibility that infection can come into play particularly because her immune system is so compromised.

They need to get her infection under control. They need to stay on it. Sending her home may be their answer, but your family needs to be in their face DAILY. Making sure the are aware of what is going on with her.

Sometimes its easy to hand the reigns over to someone else thinking that they know what they are doing, but out of sight out of mind.

Sounds bad - but the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Your family needs to be SQUEAKY.

On your end she needs to bump up her nutrition. I know she is likely having trouble drinking and food sucks and taste sucks nausea is pervasive etc...

I know it's easy to give her ensure or whatever they recommend. But she needs more nutritional help. Buy a good quality protein, mix it with fresh juices and fruits add greens, peanut butter, flax. Whatever is healthy you can even blend in a multivitamin and some vitamin D, Vitamin C. She should have this a few times a day on top of whatever liquid nutrition she is taking. (personally the liquid nutrition you buy at the store serves it's purpose but its also full of sugar and artificial crap that is NOT healthy at all.

Fresh greens or even a green poweder (vege greens? Greens plus? Vega with greens) all of these are a great base for a smoothie. Then toss in fruits, etc...

She should have a deluxe waterpik. She can use it on the lowest setting with the tongue scraper and she should use it after every meal and after she has had anything other than water in her mouth. A thorough gentle cleaning will help her heal and prevent a recurrent infection.

Also septicemia can be DEADLY. She needs to really bump up her immune system and if symptoms persist she needs to be treated until they are gone.

Cdeff - is contagious to others too.

She's young. This disease can be highly aggressive in young people. And sometimes infection out of control can be just as deadly if they don't stay on top of it.

hugs.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan