Welcome to OCF.

Your questions are not easy to respond to. None of us here are medical professionals who have years of study or medical experience to help answer your questions. While I would like to be able to give you support with medical advice, Im simply not qualified.

An informed reply also depends on your specific anatomy and the size of your tumor. If you are able to make another appointment with the second surgeon, they should be able to answer more of your questions. Its natural for the patient to have many questions, not all doctors take enough time to answer everything and ease the patients fears and concerns. Im not sure if there is a difference with the surgery weather the tumor is cancerous or not. The doc may need larger margins if the tumor is cancerous.

There are only a few who have had this specific surgery. But again it may be comparing apples to oranges because of the tumor being non-cancerous. Hopefully someone with this exact type of surgery will be able to respond to your questions with more info.

Wishing you all the very best with everything (and your little one too).

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma