Heidi

My dad has two wound breakdowns happen. He actually had two new holes this weekend. One was from a biopsy and the other from a sore he had due to his cancer spread. The chemo is drying out his pimples and one fell out and causes this hole. We have a visiting nurse who comes in to treat these areas. He had 2 on his chest after surgery in November. We were told this was wound breakdown due to slowly healing skin that has previously been irradiated. I would ask about packing the wound. My dad gets his packed with some medical packing tape which apparently absorbs the fluid that leaks and helps the wound heal from the inside out so as to avoid healing on the outside and leaving a hole on the inside. This can caus infection and abscess. Our nurse is visiting tomorrow and I assume she will pack the newly opened one from yesterday. Thankfully they are small. Two are superficial while the other two are small. Chemo has halted healing but as long as they are clean and dry they will heal eventually. Not sure about the chemo cream. I'd ask about packing the wound.

Last edited by ConcernedDaughter; 02-02-2015 07:52 AM.

Caregiver to father
DX:4/14 Surgery:5/14 resection, ND
TX: 33 IMRT complete 9/14
Scan: 10/14, suspicious area tongue & neck.
Biopsy confirmed SCC BOT 2nd Primary, right lateral tongue.
11/14: surgery partial glossectomy, pec flap, trach, NG tube, ND
12/14: debridement surgery, small area removed for clear margins
12/14: biopsy positive for SCC dermal metastasis
1/15: chemo: erbitux, taxol and carboplatin
3/15: 5FU, Erbitux
8/15: enrolled in PD-1 Immunotherapy
9/15: Heaven got a new angel <3