Depnpd, Christine has covered just about everything I wanted to say. The mental aspect is very, very hard. I had my biggest crisis after a second very small top up surgery where I felt I was going to spend my next year or so in and out of hospital (which I hate) and I told my son and friends I wanted to die if that was the case. They quickly disabused me of this idea but it was how I felt at the time. I got over it because of a very kind and wise nurse that evening and a dose of Oxynorm which can have a magical effect on me.(I know this sounds strange!) After surgery and during and after RT, I saw cancer therapists/psychologists and took part in a Cancer Society "Moving Forward" programme in which 8 patients got to talk about their worries and strategies to help each week for 6 weeks.

I've been on antidepressants for some time. Once again, they help me enormously.

The skin on the neck heals very quickly after treatment ends. Two or thee weeks after treatment he will start to feel better all over but depression can take longer. There ARE ways to deal with it so plead with him to ask for help at the oncology center or or to see his medical doctor. Depression can be worse than pain and there's no need for anyone to suffer it so acutely when there are meds and counselling techniques to improve the situation.

Last edited by Alpaca; 01-08-2015 01:14 PM.

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.