Usually the first day is the worst going through the unknown, getting instructions, scheduling. It should become more routine as time goes by.

The decadron/Prednisone kept me up too. It also raised my blood sugar to very high levels being a diabetic, so I had to adjust my medications.

Let the doctors/medical team know about the neuropathy. They can slow down the infusions, reduce dosage, take other measures to help, if needed. It can become permanent in some cases, like mine, but often goes away after treatment. The same goes for hearing, eyesight changes to let the staff know.

As far as the neti pot, I understand some tap water may have bacteria, organisms, and other containments. Ingested, these may be killed by the stomach acid, but bacteria may survive in the nasal passages, so that's why they recommend bottled, distilled, boiled or sterile water. When I use my humidifier at home, and use tap water, I can see all the containments, which clog the filter.

An hour is an hour no matter where you are coming from. I live over the bridge from you, and was able to stay at Hope Lodge, as did others. A caretaker over the age of 18 can stay with you or you can stay alone, which I did, but will need a medical note saying you are able to care for yourself. Many go home on weekends.

As suggested in another post, you may want to see about help with dropping off/picking up your children from school, doing other chores. American Cancer Society has volunteer drivers to drive you to and from treatment, but I was unable to find any in NYC to take me to NJ, and others may have gotten transportation/gas money, but those funds were not available here, but give them a call, If needed.

I hope this helps, and today is a better day.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI
12/13 25 Protons 50Gy 6 Wks Carbo