Thanks Christine, Uptown and Don. I credit my brother coming through treatment, with his already compromised kidneys, as well as he did because he was drinking lots of water with lemon juice, herbal teas - anything to keep the fluids up.

And re the PEG, despite being grossed out by the idea (as were we all) he was given no choice by his treating doctors - they don't treat without some sort of system in place should people be unable to eat. He always says the PEG helped save his life so I am very pro-PEG. But even if I weren't I'm surprised the concept of some sort of feeding assistance hasn't come up in conversations with the doctors.

Thanks for your responses. Life is not easy for any of you and I am grateful for your input. Have a wonderful Christmas.

Brother 49yo DX 22/6/11 Tonsil SCC HPV+ Stage IV T4N1(?)M0. Carbo/docetaxel (Taxotere)19/7, 11/8 (with E-tux), 1/9; E-tux 11/8, 25/8, 15/9, 30/9, 14/10, 28/10; IMRT X 35 (70gy tumour;63gy nodes;56gy gen area) 19/9-4/11/11. Clear PET scan 1/2/12. 1 and 2 year post treatment checks good.