Hi Viv - I know where you're coming from about this infection/sore. I had a similar occurence more than once when I was in treatment; an infection of some sort (mine was in left rear corner of mouth near my molars). We did a culture test on the green crud that was visible but nothing grew, ie it was viral, not bacterial (or so they told me).

ON the first time I had this they actually prescribed an antibiotic, but of course it didn't help (because it's viral). On the second bout they declined anti-biotic prescription and said your body will just have to clear it naturally (which it did, in about 2 weeks). That was a year ago, I haven't had any recurrences since.

I did have SCC of the left tonsil. I don't think the infection came from the cancer, I think it came from the weakened immune system in my mouth/body. Does having a similar infection/sore in your mouth mean you have cancer, probably not, but you do need to get it checked by an ENT specializing in oral cancer.

Let us know the results of your ENT visit.

take care, Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good