My oncologist told me to expect to feel bad for the same duration after treatment as treatment lasted. My radiation (only) lasted 7 weeks. If memory serves (it really does blur with time) I was at my worst about 4 weeks post treatment and then it began to start getting better. Improvement is SLOW, you won't notice any significant change on a daily or even weekly basis. If you can even remember all the symptoms you had a month or two months ago, then you will notice they are not quite as bad as they were before.

I thought my recovery would be linear in nature, about the same amount of improvement on a daily or weekly basis until everything was just back to normal. It wasn't like that for me, had plenty of ups and downs, improvements and setbacks along the way.

I'm coming up on 1 year since treatment completion. I still have a few dry mouth, dry sinuses issues and food still doesn't taste right, but otherwise life has pretty much returned to normal. Maybe the best thing about all this is the weight loss. I lost 40 pounds during treatment and have been able to keep almost all of it off, though I'm sure many on the forum would not consider that to be a good thing.

You will get there, it just takes awhile, so be patient.

Tony

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good