Thanks so much for the pointers everyone. I just wanted to update you on the situation.

So I saw the Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon and it was sort of helpful yet sort of useless. He examined my mouth with a flashlight several times, I talked to him about my concerns and he eventually told me I was worrying about nothing. He looked at me as if I was too concerned. He said the biopsy would consist of him removing the growth/papule entirely from my tongue and they would do the biopsy on what they've removed.

When I asked him to do a biopsy of maybe my tonsils or throat he said that's not his area of expertise. I asked if he would refer me to an ENT and he said he can't do that. He also said, and I quote "I promise you, you have nothing to worry about".

I guess that made me feel a little better but at the same time if its not his area of expertise how is he able to promise me that? With only looking at me with a flashing, no biopsy no x-ray, no PET.... I mean I could say there's going to be snowstorms tomorrow it doesn't make me a meteorologist! Needless to say I left his office a little pissed.

I immediately called my dentist and told them what happened. They apologized about it, but when I asked for a refferal to an ENT doctor they said they can't do that and I'll need to go to my family doctor to get the refferal. I have an appointment on Monday with my family doctor.

For any Americans reading this, yes free health care is nice but sometimes its not worth the amount of hoops you gotta jump through to get the right doctor/treatment. You can't just make an appointment with an ENT you have to be referred.

Currently my throats been hurting me but there are no visible changes to my mouth. The growth is the same, swollen red tonsils (one seems slightly bigger than the other). I swabbed my throat and the swab was slightly pink so it seems it is bleeding.

Should I allow the Oral Maxillofacial Surgeon to take off the growth and do the biopsy or wait to see what happens with my family doctor to see if I can get an ENT doctor? Any Canadians reading this?