I can't let this topic go by without a comment. Please be compassionate about smokers. I gave up smoking at 37 after having smoked since starting at university at 18, when, as I recall, in those days the non-smoker was the odd one out. I had managed to give up 4 times for about 12 months a piece, over an 19 year period, but always "fell off the wagon", usually because it was so long since I'd had a cigrette I thought I'd be safe just having one - famous last words! The only reason I finally (hopefully) gave up was I was in the middle of an attempt to quit when I met my husband who absolutely detested smoking. I knew that if I took it up again that would be the end of the relationship.

It is a most insidious drug. In fact, just the other day I (half)joked to someone that if I heard there was a comet heading towards earth, the very first thing I would do would be to buy a carton of cigarettes !!

Years ago my sister lost her dearest friend to lung cancer at 42, and I remember how shocked my sister and her husband were each time they visited this woman in hospital - even at this time she was struggling outside the hospital building to have a cigarette and was smoking like a chimney (this was at a time when you could smoke outside hospital buildings so I suppose that's what she was doing).

Nicoteine has a vice-like grip and I feel so sorry for anyone who has a HNC diagnosis and still can't quit.

Brother 49yo DX 22/6/11 Tonsil SCC HPV+ Stage IV T4N1(?)M0. Carbo/docetaxel (Taxotere)19/7, 11/8 (with E-tux), 1/9; E-tux 11/8, 25/8, 15/9, 30/9, 14/10, 28/10; IMRT X 35 (70gy tumour;63gy nodes;56gy gen area) 19/9-4/11/11. Clear PET scan 1/2/12. 1 and 2 year post treatment checks good.