Pattie, please take a minute and click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the My Stuff tab. Ive sent you a private message (PM) The enclosed link has info on how to navigate the forum and how to make your signature which is very important to help us help you.

Yes, unfortunately this is not that uncommon. Mouth sores can last for months. Your recovery depends on your nutrition. Every single day you need a minimum of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. This needs to continue until your hit the one year post rads mark at the very least. A full recovery can take all of 2 whole years after rads. Everyone is different and some patients have severe mouth burns which cause them great discomfort. I know how bad it hurts and I feel so bad for what you are going thru.

Ask your doc for a prescription of magic mouthwash. This will help to numb your sensitive mouth long enough for you to be able to eat and drink. At least 4 times per day rinse your mouth gently with 16 oz warm water, 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp salt. This mixture will help heal the mouth sores. It probably will burn so you can decrease the amount of salt in the mixture, but try your very best to keep some salt in the mix. Sleeping with a humidifier and taking in extra water will also help a little bit.

Hang in there, it will get easier. It just takes a loonnngggg time.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma