My brother had a CT scan of head and neck and also a PET scan yestedday on August 5th. The results were very good considering that the surgeon had indicated last week that spread into the lymph nodes and other areas was possible. More details on this on the introduction thread I posted last week. He has squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue, and the tests indicated that it is confined to the tongue, and hasn't spread to the lymph nodes or other areas of the body, which is really great news! He has had problems with mouth sores Dx'd as lichens platens since last fall with another ENT Dr so there was concern it has spread much more than recent testing indicates. He will be having a glossectimy next week and have reconstruction done on his tongue at the same time. There will be two surgeons involved; one removing the cancerous part and the other doing the reconstruction. He will probably have a PEG for a while and also a trach tube for breathing until the swelling goes down and his throat is open again. He will not be haing a neck dissection as the dr had indicated was possibly going to be needed at his first visit. They will remove some lymph nodes for biopsy in the area. He'll probably be in the hospital for a week, and off work for a month to recover. The determination of further Tx (Rad or chemo) will be made after what is seen during the surgery. He lives in the Rochester Mn. area and will be having it done at the Mayo Clinic. I will be traveling there next week for an ear surgery followup on friday Aug 15th so should be able to visit him when he's in hospital. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks to all who participate in this forum!

Steve
Brother Dx SCC Tongue 7/28/14
CT scan and PET scan 8/5/14 Stage I
Glossectimy and reconstruction surgery sched wk of 8/11/14