My brither (57) has just been diagnosed with oral cancer after having a biopsy this last Monday. He's going to have a PET scan and a CT scan of the neck next Tuesday. He started having problems with mouth last fall, and had seen an ENT for it. He had/has a couple of nodules under his tongue and also had inflammation of tissue. At that time was Dx as lichens plantens, he also had a biopsy at that time which was negative. He had steroidal mouth rinses and maybe an oral course of steroids. He had quit cigar smoking at that time. To got better, then worse, better, but never went away. About 3 wks ago, it got worse, as he had difficulty swallowing, and a sore throat with pain into his ear also. He saw his dentist at that time who reccomended he get another opnion, and he was able to get seen at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn by an oral surgeon. He lives and works in the Rochester ara. Thanks to a great NP he was able to be seen quickly after explaining the pain and discomfort that he has been n, otherwise would have been several weeks before biopsy. They took out about a quarter sized piece of tissue from his tongue and floor of mouth; and came back in 20 min's and gave him the news that he had sqamous cell cancer. He'll see the surgeon after the tests, the dr has already said that he'll probably have part of his tongue removed and a neck dissection. I know that he is in good hands now. I'm just upset that he was under care of an ENT for the last nine months and just now getting this diagnosis, though it may be possible it was a recent change in condition. I've read a little bit of the postings, having just registered, and it helps to see that a lot of folks are surviving after having later staged cancer diagnosis and major surgery, radiation, an chemotherapy. He is "numb" at this point in his feelings with the situation. So I'm just trying to learn about what lies ahead for him, and what I can do to help support him and his family. Thanks much for any advice that you can give me.

Steve
Brother Dx SCC Tongue 7/28/14
CT scan and PET scan 8/5/14 Stage I
Glossectimy and reconstruction surgery sched wk of 8/11/14