Welcome to OCF. Im very sorry to read about your husbands diagnosis of not just SCC but GERD as well.

Im a little surprised a feeding tube has not been suggested by the dietician. The calories they suggested is the minimum daily needs. Boost makes a very high calorie (VHC) drink that can be ordered thru the Amazon link on the upper right of this page. Most pharmacies can get it as well but they wont always do the special order for their customers. Boost VHC has 560 calories per 8 oz which makes it much less to drink to hit the daily minimum numbers. I do not know how this product works for GERD patients but it is similar to the other nutritional drinks you will find over the counter. Watch water intake as well, shoot for 48-64 oz per day.

If you havent already scheduled a dental appointment make one right away. Treatments will likely include surgery, with radiation and possibly chemo. Your husband will want to have his teeth thoroughly checked and in tip top condition as well as flouride trays made. He will also need a complete blood work up with thyroid and testosterone levels checked prior to any treatments.

Please feel free to ask questions. There isnt much we havent seen on this forum.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy