Hi, Big Al, and Welcome to the Forum. Your story sounds so much like my husband's. I agree with Christine that the earlier you begin to address this, the better. Unfortunately, radiation is good at attacking the cancer but does cause damage to healthy tissue.

We know this all too well. One thing to keep in mind is that radiation continues to break down cells long after you stop therapy. We refer to radiation as the gift that keeps on giving. In Clark's case, osteoradionecrosis was responsible for his jaw collapsing and he needed surgery to fix it. Prior to surgery to rebuild the jaw, his bite was completely off. The goal is to preserve as much function as possible. It will be a challenge but one that many here have endured. It is unfortunate but you can do it.

I would seek out a surgeon who has done this procedure many times. Also, radiation makes healing more difficult. Clark is on antibiotics on and off a few times a year to combat infections. In his surgery, they used bone grafts from his fibula to rebuild the jaw. It is a big job but doable. Mu husband will be 71 in a few weeks and this was done when he was about your age.

I feel for you as this is a big deal. But you have many here who will support you and offer tips while you are healing. If I can offer any more help, please PM me if you prefer. On this forum, we all cheer each other on through all kinds of challenges. You have come to the best place for support and info.

My best to you as you move forward�
Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections