Hello,
I just joined this forum with the hopes of gaining perspective on my mother's oral cancer diagnosis. In the past five years, my mother (65, fit, nonsmoker, no risk factors for oral cancer) has had three surgeries and a course of radiation for squamous cell carcinoma. She has been treated at Massachusetts Eye and Ear, but was recently told that surgery is no longer an option. Her team at Mass General has questions about whether radiation will be effective against the spread into her sinuses and along her facial bones and under her ear. They mentioned proton beam therapy as a possibility, which would mean a move to Boston from our home in Maine for an extended period. We have an appointment on Thursday in Boston. Mom is prepared for the possibility of hearing that her cancer is now at Stage 4 and that it has metastasized. I have read around and found that other cancer centers get higher marks for oral cancer care--such as Sloan-Kettering and MD Anderson. Should we trust what Mass General tells us? Should we seek a second opinion, or request treatment at a more renowned center such as Sloan or Anderson? I don't know who or how to trust, once we get the information on Thursday. I am looking for your advice. Thank you so much.