Welcome to OCF! Im so sorry to hear of your situation! We will help get you thru the next few months. We have been where you are and understand the stress and confusion you are going thru.

Your cancer was caught early (Stage II). This means you have a much better chance of survival. Seeking out the very best medical care you can is the best thing you can do, and get a second opinion too. Just remember... surgeons cut, radiologists advise radiation. Once they cur and remove tissue, they will always take a wide margin around the tumor. They can not replace what they take, at least not exactly.

Im not sure if where you are going is a comprehensive cancer center (CCC) or not. I know Fox chase, sloan Kettering and Johns Hopkins areBut here are lists of both CCC's and the top US hospitals.

CCC List

US News Best Hospitals List

People will change when advised of your illness. Not everyone can handle it and some will run for the hills. Others will surprise you and be there thru thick or thin. Try not to take it personally, its them NOT you! They have issues facing their own mortality which makes them afraid of your situation. Anyone who does offer their help, tell them when the time comes you will let them know what they can do. Write down their name and number for later. You never know how things are going to turn out so its always a good idea to have some back up helpers.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy