If your father isnt getting in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water every single day it will make his recovery much slower than other patients. Oral cancer treatments are brutal to say the least. Your fathers intake must be consistent even though he doesnt feel well and his mouth is sore. Im a little surprised at 32 days post rads he hasnt improved even a tiny bit. I know its a long hard road but by now he should be seeing some improvements. Talk with his doc and check his intake. If he isnt hitting the above minimums then thats why he still isnt feeling any better.

Recovery can take a long time. Its a long slow process full of ups and downs with a few setbacks thrown in too. Its not easy but if his focus is on his intake he will start to feel better a little at a time. A complete recovery can take all of 2 years, especially the sense of taste. Most patients notice some small improvements at about 3-4 weeks post rads. About 6-10 weeks post rads most patients will begin to have some of their sense of taste return.

Hope he begins to feel better very soon. Best wishes!!!

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy