Update:

My father had double bypass on 4/25. He spent 9 days in the hospital afterwards. He was released with the knowledge he would be having his mandibulectomy within 3-4 weeks of the original surgery date of 4/25. He was to have hospice go to the house daily to check on him and help with pain meds. No one ever called or came by. It is now 5/30. He hasn't even had a follow-up with the heart surgeon to release him for his mandibulectomy. I called them 2 days ago and asked them what was going on. They made an appointment for this Monday to clear him. I notified the cancer doctor and they had no idea the surgery had been done. In the meantime, the cancer has grown so much that his mouth is almost grown shut. He has lost 15 lbs since 4/25 because most foods burn when he attempts to eat. He is having a lot of difficulty swallowing. Sometimes you cannot understand what he is saying when he speaks but he has made it known that his tongue doesn't fit in his mouth anymore. The cancer started in his gums. It is now the entire bottom of his mouth and starting to spread back to his throat. I got him Fentanyl patches and a nerve blocker to help with pain. It's working really well. His painful episodes where he would just cry have gone from 10-12 hours at a time to 1 hour. I'm just having a hard time watching him suffer and wondering what is taking the doctors so long to do what they said needed to be done in late December/early January.

Last edited by Keleigh; 05-30-2014 10:57 AM.

daughter of George:
stage IV squamous cell
diagnosed 12/18/13
double bypass 4/25/14
mandiblectomy 6/13/14
released from hospital 6/25/14 to return 6/27/14
radiation to start 8/25/14; only had one treatment
currently in a nursing home
Passed away Dec 25, 2014