Hi, my name is Ron. After not being able to sleep for 4 days, and my wife and kids upset, I thought I would reach out to see if anyone could give me any advice.

I went in to have a couple of small cavities filled five days ago. When the dentist first looked in my mouth she said I had a small spot on my soft palate toward the back. She thinks it oral melanoma. It is a light brown color, 5.5-6 mm length 1-2 mm width. It looks like a bomerang with one end slightly tilted up. It is flat. It is not raised and there is no irritation around the edges.

She had just examined me mid December and again about two months prior to that. She says it wasn't there. I told her that was a spot where I had burned the roof of my mouth about 1.5 weeks ago. I asked her isn't melanoma dark brown/black/purple. She said yes, but it is possible that it could be a different color. Out of all the pictures I have now reviewed, this doesn't look even close to any of those.

She took photos and sent them to an oral surgeon. Later in the day she called me back and said that the oral surgeon said that if it was his family member he would simply tell them to come back in a couple of months and see if there was any change. He thought it was something probably more like a palatal oral melanotic macule. However, she was wishy washy over it saying that she has a 95+% accuracy of initial diagnosis.

It seems odd to me that an experienced oral surgeon would suggest waiting a couple of months to have something checked that looked like oral cancer, let alone wait on something that is supposed to be oral melanoma. I know that the dentist is over aggressive at times, but this just seems so odd. Given her conclusions I said, how can I wait to see if it grows. So, asked if they could get me into the oral surgeon. Now waiting for an appointment.

Is there anyone here that might be able to give me any feedback on any of this?

Thanks!