Hi there.. I think based on the type of cancer you have the surgical alternative is likely best at this point with follow up from rads and chemo. It's hell on the body but also the best chance at beating this- clear margins are always good but no guarantees. Its like this... you have a tumor with surrounding cancer involved cells. Now, if they go in and remove the tumor and surrounding tissue and follow up with rads, then there is less of a chance of one or two cells remaining than if they just hit it with rads. On a scan the tumor may be gone, but on a cellular level there may be one or two hangers on. Another reason for them to grab your nodes too.

Usually the bone they take from elsewhere is a leg bone. A few here have had a similar surgery and are doing VERY WELL. They can likely give you the nitty gritty details. (though from what I gather bone has less chance of being rejected because it's yours.)

Since he is messing with your face I would hope a plastics guy is involved. The ENT removes the bad stuff and the plastics guy puts you back together...DELICATELY..

I know people shake their head and say well how you look is unimportant as long as you beat this. This is true to a degree, however normalcy is also very important to healing and fighting off depression.

I sincerely hope all goes well and that you are being treated at a top cancer center. Hugs and best wishes.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan