Hello to all,

I've spent sometime reading some posts before actually deciding to post myself and this forum seems like an extremely resourceful and positive place.

I am looking for any type of information anyone would be interested in sharing and would be ever so grateful.

My father who is 71 was diagnosed in December 2013 with Stage IV base of the tongue squamouse cell carcinoma. At that time they also discovered two spots on nodes in his chest. They were extremely concerend with the agressiveness and size of his tumor on the tongue so the happenings in his chest were secondary. He moved forward with treatment and received 7 weeks - 35 sessions of radiation in additions to chemotherapy. Mid-way through treatment his doctors were impressed with how everything was going. He had his last radiation session on February 28th, last week at a follow with his ENT he suspected the tumor was still present. An MRI confirmed the worst. Treatment was unsuccesful. Because of the size of his tumor and the location they are recommending a full glossectomy with laryngectomy or maintenance chemo until this terrible disease takes his life. We are obviously quite devastated as we were hopeful his treatment would be successful. Sadly this has taken his spirit as well. It is so incredibly hard to watch him go through all of this. Oddly enough, whatever was going on in his chest was resolved from the chemo. They believed the primary source was his lungs, by they kept coming back clear.

We are taking him for a second opinion because at this point we feel we have nothing to lose though his current doctor told us that if anyone told us other than what they did we were being given false hope. Was so heartbreaking to hear.

We are in Philadelphia. My father was treated at Thomas Jefferson Hospital. We are looking into U Penn, we have heard great things about a physician there that does transoral laser surgery and are curious to see if he is a candidate. Being in Pennsylvania we are close to New York and also have Sloane Kettering on the table.

I would love to hear from anyone of you who are willing to share your story with me. Specifically anyone who was not successful with treatment the first time around, anyone who has had this surgery - what is your current QOL like, anyone on who is maintenance chemo and having success.

We are at a loss and right now I just want my father to have the very best care that will provide him with the best QOL at this point.

Thank you to all for taking time out to read this and TIA to any replies.

-Danielle