Hi everyone. I found this site Googling T2N2b and found Hellion's post, his situation is very similar to mine.

I'm 46 from Brisbane Australia. Diagnosed by FNA about a month ago, followed by the CT, bone scan, MRI, PET and lots of blood tests. Then off to the head and neck clinic where they determined my best course is to have 7 weeks of radiotherapy, and 3 lots of chemo, starting 31 March.

I had three teeth taken out on the right side last week, it wasn't much fun but at least I've got gargling salt water down pat!

I went to a psychologist just for some techniques on how to deal with everything. Coping with a worried wife, telling the kids, how to relax and sleep. He was pretty good but it was mainly for coping with the waiting stage. Now we're into the planning appointments, making the mask, talking to speech pathologists and dieticians etc. My wife comes with me for all these things. She's a great support, and its really helpful to have another set of ears absorbing the information I might have missed.

Of course I've been reading a lot, Google can be your best friend or worst enemy. Tip: If you are lying awake trying to sleep and wonder what a radiotherapy mask is, don't do an image search! Took me hours to get to sleep after that!

One of the scary things is your signature blocks. Many of you have been on this ride for YEARS! And you're the survivors. I don't want to be on this ride now, let alone in a year's time. Of course I'm scared, but the biggest battle is in my head. I'm going to win that and I'll tell you why.

I have a loving wife and 4 kids, and I have 3 grandkids who mean the world to me. My first grandson was born on the day of my first CT.

My eldest granddaughter is 4. I looked at her and wondered how I do I tell this wonderful little girl her Poppy is sick and needs to go to the hospital to get better. She took it in, processed it as she does, and told me the answer. "I went to the doctor and I got 3 needles and he gave me a lollipop. You know why? Because I was brave. You get a lollipop if you're brave Poppy." I hugged her tight so she couldn't see me cry.

So there I was in the MRI, freaking out in this tight tube with the mask and the loud noises, and there she was, in my head, telling me to be brave. And I was. And I will be.

So that's my intro post about me. You wouldn't be reading this if you didn't have a battle of your own, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Cheers, Dave (OzMojo)
19Feb2014 Diagnosed T2N2bM0 P16+ve SCC Tonsil.
31Mar2014 2 Cisplatin, 70gy over 7 weeks (completed 16May2014)
11August2014 PET/CT clear.
17July2019 5 years NED.