Not all ENTs will do biopsies, same with treating oral cancer patients. Some ENTs specialize in putting tubes in childrens ears.

Its usually a 3 step process to getting a biopsy in the US. First appointment is the initial consultation. They will discuss 3 ways you can have the biopsy, asleep, with a local numbing shot or without anything. They will talk about a punch biopsy or an excisional biopsy. They will check your insurance (this is a medical procedure, not dental) coverage and try to get a pre-approval. The second appointment is the biopsy, if being put to sleep you will need a driver. The third appointment is when you get the results. The 3 appointments are usually about a week apart. It is frustrating to have to wait up to a month from the time you make your appointment until you get the results. In a few instances the ENT will go ahead and preform the biopsy on the first appointment, but thats not always the norm. This same thing goes if your doc refers you to an oral surgeon.

I suggest if you want to know the ENTs office procedures, call and ask. The office staff should be able to tell you if the doc does biopsies or if they send them out.

Good luck!!! I hope its nothing serious.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma