Hello my name is tabi and am in the process of finding out what is wrong with me.. For about a year and a half I have had occasional problems swallowing, the in the last month I've had pain in my throat and ear aches, so I went to my dr on the 23rd dec and she wanted me to get a ct scan and be referred to an ENT. So I got the scan and couldn't make an appointment with the ENT till the 6th jan because he was on holidays. The results of the ct scan said "there is a considerable nodular enlargement of the soft tissues on the posterior aspect of the tongue base virtually filling the valleculae on both sides. The nature of this finding is uncertain. Direct inspection of the area and possible biopsy is suggested." So I finally got into the ENT on the 7th and he looked down my throat with a fibre optic scope, and said my voice box was red and told me it could be one of four things, a lingual thyroid, a lingual tonsil, inflammation from reflux or lymphoma. He then told me to get some more tests, blood, barium swallow and a thyroid scan. Because I'm on thyroid meds I had to wait 6 weeks to get the scan so I'm booked in for that on feb 14th. But I had the barium swallow and it's results said, " mass lesion base of tongue. Given the position, it likely reflects an ectopic thyroid but included in the differential diagnoses is a complex suprahyoid thyroglossal duct cyst, dermois or epidermis, squamous cell carcinoma of the lingual tonsil and less likely lymphoma." So I don't know what it could be I've had my main thyroid removed when I was 17. So what they are suggesting is that it is a lingual thyroid, but I need to wait for the scan results... Is it a good sign if my bloods are ok? He did a full blood count and they came back good.. I'm really worried its something and I hate waiting because if it is we could be treating it. Has anyone had anything similar ?

Last edited by tabi; 01-19-2014 09:34 PM.

Ct scan showed lesion on BOT 30/12/13, barium swallow showed mass on BOT 10/1/14, thyroid scan ruled out lingual thyroid 14/2/14, biopsy on BOT 20/2/14, biopsy all clear diagnosed lingual tonsil lymphoid hytrophy. Did not test for HPV. 29/4/14 CT scan on chest and neck, lesion or mass on BOT not changed. 2 nodes 7mm noticed on left neck, 1 tiny node 3mm on chest was noted.