First off, I don't think I would put much if any faith in that internet article. It's just a one or two sentence answer to a very complex question. What kind of articles on the internet would I put faith in, like whole studies done and reported in the nations leading medical journals. Those I would have tendency to believe much more. One thing we caution a LOT about on this forum is to stay away from Dr Google. It usually just causes way more grief than it helps.

Like Christine said, so much is unknown about HPV16. While oral sex is the most likely transmission method, I think it is possible for it to be transmitted via deep kissing. How likely, probably not very likely, but impossible, I don't think any doctor who really knows oral cancer would say it's impossible. Have you ever deep kissed anyone other than your husband? I don't expect you to answer that, but it's something to think about.

As Christine also said like 80% are exposed to HPV at some time during their lives and most of them clear it normally via their immune systems. So, even if husband was exposed that doesn't mean he has it now. Even if he was he may have been one of the lucky majority that cleared it before he even met you.

Likewise, you don't know if you have it. Your chronic tonsil problems can be caused by lots of things not related to HPV16. If each case of tonsilitis clears (heals) and you go back to a period of no tonsilitis I would have a hard time blaming it on HPV16. The only way to diagnose HPV16 is by biopsy. For your piece of mind maybe consider asking your doctor to to do a biopsy, but don't be surprised if he says no, it's not warranted.

Maybe this will help you understand it better. I'm HPV16 positive myself and for a tonsil mass. I never had a history of tonsilitis but my left tonsil became swollen to triple it's normal size (almost all the way to the uvula). At first they treated it with heavy antibiotic (keflex and then augmentin). That did nothing to lessen the swelling. The doc mashed on it during examination and said it's hard (tonsilitis is usually normal texture). Additionally, tonsilitis is usually bilateral (both tonsils). He suggested biopsy or removal, I opted for removal. They did a biopsy on the removed tissue and identified SCC (squamous cell carcinoma), further pathology testing identified HPV16. Now, does any of that sound like what you've been through?

Personally, I think you are way over-worrying this issue. You don't know what you husband may or may not have been exposed too. That your husbands 2nd partner was sexually abused I think is making you conjure up all sorts of demons in her past and making you jump to conclusions that are just not warranted.

Though I am NOT a doctor and can't give actual medical advice (none of us can) I think you just have chronic tonsilitis of unknown cause. If it continues or has continued for a significant period of time (years) I'm surprised your doctor hasn't suggested normal tonsilectomy, though let me tell you, it's no picnic. It hurts like the dickens for an adult to have a tonsilectomy.

That your doctor seems to not be worried says one of two things, either you have nothing to be worried about, or 2. you need a second opinion.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 01-07-2014 05:53 PM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good