Hey all,

I had a hemi glossectomy on 12/26 which took approx. 6 hours. They took a piece of my chin to replace the area where the tumor was. I was relieved to have heard the news clear margins 1/2 to 1cm! I was thinking this would be smooth sailing especially since they did a neck dissection and took 29 nodes which all came back as negative! On one of the last days in the hospital (I was discharged 1/1) the radiation oncology docs paid a visit and started to inform me that they will probably recommend radiation/chemo. This is after they couldn't tell where the piece of skin was taken from! In my mind, how can a doc recommend something like that without obtaining all the information in my file???!!??? I will be getting second and third opinions since my surgical oncologist mentioned that she didn't think rad/chemo was necessary....I understand that I am young and they want to be aggressive as possible, but I don't want my teeth to fall out or be limited on what I'm able to do to get a 5% lower chance of recurrence? Thoughts?????

SCC front left lateral tongue T2N0M0 After neck dissection. partial glossectomy 12/26/13. Perinueral Invasion. IMRT 60gy 30 treatments beginning 2/5/14 through 3/19/14.