Ankur,

When I was first diagnosed in 2005, I was beyond scared and wanted to start treatment ASAP. I did some research before starting treatment but back then I wasn't able to find much information but based on what I found surgery only was the best option for me since I was stage I. Fortunately my doctor was the best ENT in the area. I did end up receiving RT about 9 months later (long story).

I 2010 I had a recurrence, and at this point I was a more knowledgeable patient thanks in a big part to the OCF forum and website. Since my options were more limited this time, I did as you did and sought multiple opinions including Fox Chase and Johns Hopkins plus my local ENT. Treatment options were very different (had 4 options) and it was a very difficult decision to make. I opted for surgery at Johns Hopkins.

I believe you are considering Fox Chase for treatment. I know a number of OC patients who were treated there and it is a great facility with outstanding doctors. Now comes the hard part to decide where to have treatment, but you've done your research and can move forward knowing you've done all you could do to prepare for your treatment and make an informed decision.

I wish you the best with your upcoming surgery and treatment. Please keep us posted and we will be here to offer support and advice.

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)