Hello Don:

I too am using a Varian Trilogy. From conversations with my RT she says they can use the machine in two different modes.

1. Continuous arc - apparently what you are getting.

2. Point and shoot - as many stationary shots as dosimetrist determines necessary.

The method of operation is chosen by the RO. Apparently they have different opinions as to which is better. My RO prefers point and shoot, so I get 11 shots each treatment. Laying on the table looking up at 12:00, my shots start at 5:30 (below right shoulder), 5:00, 3:00, 1:30, 12:00, 10:30, 9:30,
8:30, 7:00, 6:30 and then back up to 12:00 with a table reposition for a super-clavicular shot where they radiate the lymph nodes below my adams apple. Each shot is about 15 seconds in duration.

After 25 treatments they terminated the super-clav, saying I'd received all the dosimetrist wanted.

New, the machines were about $2.4 million each. Mine is about 4 years old. It takes about 2 hours to warm up every day before use and the beam is high energy x-rays, capable of going through you as well as the concrete wall on the other side of the room. The wall next to the therapists has about a half inch of lead in it besides the concrete. There are parking spots outside the other wall, so I expect they put lead in that wall too.

I'm a bit of a techy too.

Tony

Last edited by n74tg; 12-16-2013 02:56 PM.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good