Hi, guys! Gordon here with a not-so-good update.
Saw my oncologist week before last and he said the current chemo (Erbitux/alimpta) was not working at all and he suggested stopping treatment completely. I feel that, while the treatment wasn't completely stopping the growth of my tumor, it was slowing it down to an extent that I could "live" with. (good one, huh?)
I agreed that he could "do what he needs to do" just out of shock.
I'm unfamiliar with how to go about getting the all-important "second opinion" and when I called his office they basically tuned me out as someone who didn't want treatment from this doctor and "best of luck!"
I HAVE actually been quite lucky for the majority of this hayride-working on my eleventh year now, and for the most part, have had no intense pain/discomfort to complain about...UNTIL NOW! I'm assuming that it's phychological, but now that I'm NOT doing ANY treatment, it has begun to hurt like the DEVIL! It has spread to my left clavicle, and I feel that it's starting to spread to the right, all the while the main neck tumor is raising its' ugly head in a MOST UNCOMFORTABLE way!
I won't be able to read responses before I go back to see him this afternoon (my computer at home has DIED!), but any responses will be truly appreciated.
What can I ask for from here? What other treatments are available besides Erbitux? I assume the process of getting a second opinion is no more complicated than contacting another oncologist, right?
Anyway, I've really missed posting here and gotten a LOT of strength and support from you fine folks over the years! KEEP IT UP!!
My best to you all!
Gordon

SCC right tonsil Dx 14 Feb 03
No surg till Apr 03
Lip resection Sep 05 "frankenface"
Recurr Apr 10
2/3 tongue removed Jun 10
SPEECH/SWALLOW/DROOL challenges FUN!
Dec 10 Tumor @ nodes/larynx/cart artery growing
Erbitux Mar 11 Hyoid bone regrows!?
recur Dec 12
begin taxo chemo