Your Uncles situation is not an easy one. Your uncle has cancer in multiple places which makes things much more complicated. If the cancer has spread into his lungs then that may be treated a different way than what he had in his mouth. If the cancer has spread past the lungs as you previously suggested, there may not be alot anyone can do to help your uncle.

If surgery is not an option then the only other way to completely eliminate the oral cancer is thru radiation with or without chemo. The chemo's I listed in my previous post are what the majority of oral cancer patients here in the US have been given. If I had to give you a number, I would say 90% of SCC OC patients are given one or a combo of those listed. Then maybe 8% are given something called 5-FU which (I think) is a combo chemo but Im not completely certain about the 5-FU or what chemos its made up from if its a combo chemo. This is for treating the oral cancer only. I dont know what would be given for the lungs or other areas the cancer spread to.

Im very sorry about everything your uncle and family are dealing with! Watching a loved one go thru cancer is a very hard thing for everyone. There are some tough decisions that need to be made. I cant think of anyone on this forum who went thru something similar where their cancer had been on their lip, then cheek, and now back in their mouth but also lungs and other areas too. Time could become a factor in all of this if the cancer is spreading. From what I have learned, in some cases doctors will use chemo (and radiation) to reduce the size of the tumor as surgery would be too involved with taking too much tissue.

Best wishes!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy