Angel -Scheduling could be all it is with getting appointments (as Paul mentioned). We got my son's first appointment with the ENT moved up from 2 weeks away to the next business day. They can do that. They can move other appointments around. As for "in-office" appointments, the advantage there is that whatever the results are, there are human beings there to help with some positive suggestions as to how to proceed and what comes next. If you bring someone with you, and it's positive news, you can celebrate together and if it's not so positive, you have hugs to go along with the plans for what comes next. In my son's case, when we got the news, my daughter was there, and the ENT plus three interns and something that helped me so much was a comment made by the female intern just as everyone was leaving. I think she saw how worried I was and assured me that Dr. C was very aggressive in his treatment and I knew by the look on her face and the tone of her voice that my son had a very good chance of being ok. You don't get that over the phone. They probably just want to tell you to quit smoking. And you can do that!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)