I am Carol. My significant other, Tim, has been diagnosed with SCC at the BOT with mets.
FNA last year showed inflammatory cells so a round of antibiotics was prescribed. He had a tooth that had broken then healed so the ENT felt it might be an infection. So.. had the tooth extracted (he was in no hurry to get this done since it was not bothering him and the ENT didn't even mention cancer). Fast forward 1 year- back at the ENT and another round of antibiotics. 3 weeks later an FNA which then showed atypical cells suspicious for non small cell carcinoma. Next(2 weeks later) a needle core biopsy of largest lymph node. Results- non small cell carcinoma. one week later- PET with glucose. Showed very small BOT tumor with reactive lymphoid tissue. 2 large metastatic lymph nodes and several smaller right level 2 lymph nodes that are suspicious but obscured by the intensity of the first 2. The ENT did a scope and looked at the BOT and said "it appears as just a slightly different color and size as the rest, and "if he didn't know what he was looking for it would appear basically normal to him".
He is referred to radiology oncologist now. We chose a different one than "recommended" that is more familiar to me and highly recommended thru my medical contacts. This appointment is tomorrow.
We had been researching non small cell and thought it would most likely be lung cancer so all of this took us by surprise!! I guess at this point we really need a bit of hope that the treatment will be successful!
We are very anxious, of course, about the next phase. I have been trying to familiarize myself with all of this. I will be his caretaker during and after treatment.
So ..... I guess "Help" is what I am asking for!!

Caregiver to Tim(Best friend and love of my life)55 years young!!
Small BOT SCC (HPV+) with mets to 2 large and 1 "cluster" of right neck lymph nodes. DX 7/2013
Treatment started 8/2013. Completed 10/9/2013 IMRT 70GY over 31 days X2. Cisplatin X3 No PEG.
PET Scan 1/15/2014 NO Evidence of Disease
5/18/2015 NED with follow up visits to oncologist and Radiation oncologist every 3 months.
Cautiously Optimistic and starting on the journey to recovery!