I'm about 9 1/2 months out from radiation and chemo and still having problems with eating. I have a PEG tube and still use it for most of my calories. I have no teeth and not able to open my mouth very wide. I am trying to work really hard to get rid of the tube. Would love some suggestions to help with that.

Lots of people have told me to try creamed potatoes but for some reason I have real trouble with them. I normally love potatoes but they just seem to stick together and won't go down well, even with lots of water. I was told it was because of the starch. Any suggestions to help them go down??

I have gotten to where I can eat soft vegetables such as carrots, green beans, cooked onion, and baked squash. Have started experimenting with casseroles with those ingredients and have done fairly well. I know I need more protein but haven't been able to do meats much yet. Any advise on starting to use some meats? Ways to cook them or something that can help with breaking it down more?

I do some shakes, bought and homemade and do well with them. I know that they are just mostly calories and not very nutritional but I also know I need that as well.

They say I may be able to be fitted with a bottom denture at some time in the future but probably not the top since that is where the most of my cancer was. Thank you so much for any advice/suggestions that you can make.

Sandra
5/15/12 Diagnosed with SSC
6/20/12 Surgery-Hard/soft palate with RND, trach and PEG, teeth taken, Age 51
8/20/12 PET scan showed cancer had reoccurred
9/4/12 Began Chemo and Radiation
1X cisplatin 2X carboplatin 35 radiation
5/28/13 Latest scans---Cancer free
12/2013 Still Cancer Free MO wants no more CT scans
(not sure how I feel about that)

Blessed and Very Much So