Hi Everyone,
I was hoping to put up a happy post this weekend, but alas, not to be. My husband went in on Friday to have an esophageal dilation but the doctor could not do it. He has a "pocket' which is completely closed and the doctor was unable to put even the smallest scope down there. He said this is due to the radiation. He is 9 weeks post treatment and still not able to swallow tiny bits of water, obviously if everything is closed up. The ENT doctor who tried this called the Hopkins surgeon to explain the problem. Apparantly, our Hopkins surgeon can do this "innovative" procedure where he puts the scope through the stomach and goes upwards, rather than down the throat. Heaven knows what it's called. I just emailed him to see if we can get this done asap as we are so worried that as time passes this will worsen. My husband is very depressed, as you can imagine, thinking he will have to use the feeding tube for the rest of his life. Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, was the problem resolved? We need a little "HOPE" here.
Thanks,
Pamela

Pamela (57) Caregiver to husband Jack (68)
2-21-13 DX BOT SCC T2, left LN's affected, Stage 4, HPV+
3-8-13 PEG, Port for Chemo, Biopsy BOT
3-22-13 Start Cisplatin 1X Wk X 5-6 Wks,
3-25-13 Start Rad 1X Daily, 6X Wk, X 7 weeks, (42 TX)
5-11-13 finished Rad after 39 TX and 6 Wks Cisplatin