Thanks, Brian.

Yes, I agree that it could be scar tissue. In fact, I'll be surprised if it isn't, because that area has been subjected to many, many years of physical trauma from the actinic cheilitis, in addition to the numerous cryosurgeries and the laser-CO2 ablation. But I'll be looking for a definitive diagnosis through some kind of testing or even biopsy because I don't completely trust any physician. Two dermatologists (one of the them an established Mohs surgeon) with good reputations misdiagnosed a basal cell carcinoma on my nose a couple of years ago, telling me it was nothing to worry about. Ultimately, it was up to me to seek out a third opinion and by that time (a year later), it had invaded fairly deeply, requiring pretty extensive surgery and reconstruction that took over a year to resolve. I'll never trust any of them again. In the end, I think it's up to all of us to question everything they tell us and to get multiple opinions; even two opinions isn't always enough, IMO.

Thanks for the US News pointer. Being that I live in Colorado, though, the decision's pretty easy. University of Colorado-Denver is apparently the only NCI-designated facility in the state. Fortunately, I live about an hour outside Denver, so that's where I'll be going.