Had surgery on BOT and neck dissection (levels 2-4) last week (5/29). Unfortunately had a huge bleed on the Friday (5/31), was rushed back into theatre and they couldn't incubate me when they put me under the general anaesthetic and had to do an emergency tracheotomy.

I woke up in critical care - very, very scary - but hey, I'm still alive & kicking so next steps....

This fricken tongue is so sore. Who can tell me of their experiences with BOT surgery?

How long will it keep feeling like this? I know it's only been a week but even swallowing water hurts and I have to time my pain medication & food so I can even get something down. The mechanism of swallowing is working fine, it's the pain that's stopping me from taking in what I should be.

My face/neck is numb and I've noticed some loss of strength in my right arm but I'm told both of these are from the nerve damage and is just temporary and will come back over time. The nerve was kept intact, it's just traumatised - poor nerve.

I've lost 4kg already but have been stead for the last 2 days so I think I'm getting enough in now. Having high-energy nutrition drinks prescribed to me as well.

It's just the pain. How long does it last? What can help? What sort of medications or timetable of taking them worked with you all?

Thanks.

39yr old female, DX BOT SCC Stage IVA (T1N2bM0) HPV+
28 May 13 - Pharangoscopy & tongue biopsy
29 May 13 - BOT Surgery & right ND (lvls 2-5)
31 May 13 - Hemorrhage, emergency trach, critical care
BOT clr mgns, 9/67 nodes & extracapsular extension
Finished chemo (cisplatin) & 30 rads