Had a meeting with my Consultant Surgeon today re. the MRI scan on the lump on my collar bone, which has grown to the size of a hen's egg in the last 5 weeks.
A previous biopsy had confirmed that it was cancerous, so I knew today would not really be about good news. I was certainly correct in that assumption.
My 'lump' goes in to my chest and is vey close to a number of vital vessels. I was advised that I can have surgery to remove it and then the Oncologist will do his bit (I'm assuming more chemo). However, this surgery will not fully remove all of the cancerous tumour and the necessary margin normally removed on top will not be possible due to it's position (junction of collar bone and sternum). Due to it's size I'll possibly need a skin flap from my chest to replace lost tissue and my swallowing could well be affected by the surgery being so close to the nerves involved - and that's if I don't succumb to any catastrophic bleeding whilst on the operating table due to vessel proximity above and possibly below the collar bone if it's gone that far by the time I've had surgery.
The Surgeon was direct and detailed in his analysis and wouldn't commit to producing a recommendation when asked. When my wife asked him for a personal view (i.e. if it was a relative or a loved one of his) he said he considered more surgery as a treatment too far considering the effect on the quality of life in the time I have left (months).
So, I'll get increasingly tired and fade away or eventually have a catastrophic blood vessel episode in the next few months as the tumour grows.
I'm having a second opinion as I feel I should - but I do not expect any change in prognosis.
I am told my tumour could well break through the skin so I would appreciate any insight into wound management/problems.

50 yrs.Non smok.Mod drink.
Tongue canc SCC T2N0M0.
Surg. Jul '11 1/3 rd of tongue rem. & sel. neck diss.PEG fitted.
Aug '11 6 wks chemo/radio.3 more canc. nodes rem.
Feb '12 18 wks chemo.
Nov. '12 Mod rad neck diss on right, & pec flap rep. rem. of tumour under chin. More rad to follow in 2013.
**update** Passed away September 26, 2013