Well a lot has happened since I was diagnosed again with tongue cancer in Jan 2013.

- my recurrence occurred on the opposite side of my tongue. So I basically had my tongue removed and a tongue flap created from my forearm/wrist. I also had a trach in hospital for preventative measures. Nasal feeding tube for total of 2 weeks.
- i had brachytherapy radiation on my tongue where the area of the flap is located for prevention. This radiation was done in hospital and I was there a total of 3days for that.
- of course I lost weight again and have yet again another new normal. I am on a soft food diet and maybe like this indefinitely.
- both recurrences were stage 1. My dr team believe that a cancer cell was lurking from first time. Genetics play a role in why I may have this disease and why my tongue was highly dysplasia .
-the 1st time I dealt with my cancer, surgery wasn't too bad but radiation was brutal (external beam). This time around, surgery was very difficult but radiation not too bad.
- I am sure I will be in the after treatment issues forum. This is very hard to believe that I went through this again. I am hopeful that this is the last and I'm happy to be alive.
- no chemo needed and will have my usual follow up visits with ENT and oncologist for the next 5 years- at least. I have to admit, I am very anxious still and stressed about this. I don't recall being like this the first time.
- I have a young daughter so this was very difficult for her. I was in the hospital from surgery for 8 days and radiation for 3. Although we had family support, she missed her mommy and it was hard for her to see all my "owies." But we are close to being back to everyday life and hopefully she will soon forget all this happened.
Thanks for reading.

Age 44. Diagnosed at 34 (2006) with T1N0 SCC tongue on right side. Neck dissed & 6 weeks Radiation. 30% tongue removed. Never smoked;
2nd recurrence 1/2013 on left side. Surgery to remove 2/2013 forearm flap/neck dissec T1N0; brachytherapy 4/2013;
3rd recurrence 11/2015 mandibulectomy for jaw bone cancer Stage IV/no lymph node involvement