Hi, Danny,

My husband is 5 years post diagnosis and he had had numerous issues related to radiation: osteoradionecrosis leading to mandibulectomy; aspiration and difficulty swallowing; stiffening neck muscles; recurrent fistula; fatigue; and worsening speech. Like you, he has not had any recurrence but we could not have guessed that these post radiation issues would continue long after initial treatment. Given all that, we live a pretty normal life. He is healthy and active and has some limitations. We have been able to work around the things that get in the way by adjusting his diet, and the expectations of others. We do have to be diligent with aspiration and he sees a pulmonary doc every 6 months. Other than that, life goes on. I have finally allowed myself to relax a little and not get alarmed when he is not at the top of his game that day. However, recurrent infection has made us both wary of any minor changes to his skin which are typically the first sign something isn't right.

Congrats to you for being a long time survivor. I love knowing that you are living life on your terms. I am sorry that you have had to deal with post rad issues so long after your treatment. I wish you the best with your jaw and I hope that you stay healthy following your aspiration pneumonia. The lung doc did say that if my husband gets a fever to contact her and she'll call in an antibiotic pronto. So far, we haven't had to do that.

Best-
Anita

Last edited by AnitaFrances; 05-09-2013 11:18 AM.

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections