Lori,

I would check with your doctors about when you can return to work and they probably won't know until after the surgery. If they need to remove more tissue during surgery and do a flap, your recovery will probably take longer. Also a factor is the thyroid removal and neck dissection. I needed a doctor's OK (written note) saying when I could return to work.

Your tongue will be swollen after surgery, so eating will definitely be a challenge. Look for easy foods that don't require much chewing (check out list Christine mentioned). Exercising your tongue will definitely help regain mobility and speech but check with your doctor as to when you should start. Many patients are referred to a speech therapist.

You said you have a 2 year old - do you have someone to help care for him/her? Two year olds are very active and won't understand much about your surgery, so minimal info is better. You will probably be tired and in some pain for the first few weeks after surgery, so take all offers of help (shopping, cleaning, food prep, laundry, child care, etc). How long is difficult to answer at this point -- it depends what you have done during surgery, and how you react to the surgery. Everyone's experience is different.

Your #1 priority after surgery is your recovery. Don't overdo things. If you feel tired, rest. If you are in pain, take your pain meds. Get others to help you - don't try to be super women during this time.

I was extremely anxious before my first surgery as I didn't know what to expect and I hadn't found the OCF forum until months later. Use the forum as a resource for information and support. Unlike your family and friends, we've been through what you are facing and are here to help.

Wishing you the best!

Susan

SCC R-Lateral tongue, T1N0M0
Age 47 at Dx, non-smoker, casual drinker, HPV-
Surgery: June 2005
RT: Feb-Apr 2006
HBOT: 45 in 2008; 30 in 2013; 30 in 2022 -> Total 105!
Recurrence/Surgeries: Jan & Apr 2010
Biopsy 2/2011: Moderate dysplasia
Surgery 4/2011: Mild dysplasia
Dental issues: 2013-2022 (ORN)