My dad finished his 35 rounds of radiation and 2 rounds of Cisplatin in early Nov'12. He was doing great. Skin slowly repairing its self. Swelling slowly subsiding. Appetite returning. In Jan'13 he had his follow up scan - results not good. There is a reoccurrence on the left side behind the ear. Directly in the area that was being treated. Radiation is not an option. We are told they cannot operate because of the cancer's proximity to the blood cells would stroke his brain. And we are being told chemo cannot fight it. We've been referred to a Palliative care doctor and prescribed pain meds.
Feelings are mixed. I'm shocked that his team of doctors have thrown their hands up and sent us home with a grim prognosis. The system seems so broken.
We have reached out to a ND who has success in treating cancer. His symptoms vary day to day and hour to hour.
We are trying to stay positive. After all Dr's aren't Gods and we all know they can be wrong. But, it's hard having the anticipation of a grim prognosis hang over our heads.
It breaks my heart to see him in pain. How do we bring back some form of normalcy to our lives? Sadly I seem to find strength in my anger these days. We did everything they told us to do and I feel like it left us with no options.
What happens next? Any suggestions?

CG - Father, Age 63, Non-Smoker
May 2012 - Diagnosed Stage IV Tongue Cancer (Left Side)
July 2012 - Surgery (Removed: 70% of Tongue & 77 Lymph Nodes - 3 Affected; Flap Reconstructed; G-Tube)
August 2012 - Teeth Removed; MRI Scan: 1 New Affected Lymph Node
Sep-Nov 2012 - 35 x Rad & 2 x Cisplatin Chemo